Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener.....

I bought Kaliese and Braedyn these Pixster games about a week ago. They are like a little Palm Pilot thing where they can play games or draw. They both have one. Kaliese's is pink and Braedyn's is blue. For the most part they play the same games. Likewise, they also both have bedrooms with their very own beds. Yet this is the picture this evening:






Playing with his sister's game on his sister's bed. I wonder what makes something that's not ours so inticing. He loves his sister's room and she loves his. There is something special about playing with something that was bought specifically for someone else. Not convinced? Not 10 minutes later I took this photo:






Are you kidding me? He couldn't believe I took a picture of him doing this, but I couldn't resist! Admit it....we've all had a little more fun than we should playing with our kids' toys!


On a different note, Brian made me a wonderful birthday cake this weekend. In spite of my Tarheels' gut-wrenching loss Saturday night, he fought to keep my spirits up with one last nod to the fabulous boys in blue. He was critical of his efforts, but I thought it turned out great. It tasted even better. I don't know how he does it, but he can make a superb cake-from-a-box!


Treasure of the day:

I was in the backyard with the kids today. I was mowing while they played (a safe distance away, but very much in my sight - mom). The kids' picnic table was in the way, so I shouted to Kaliese to push it over to a part I had already mowed. Braedyn didn't hear the instructions, but seeing Kaliese on a mission spurred him to action. She ran over to one side of the table and began pushing. He ran to the opposite side of the table and did the same. It took him but a moment to understand the goal and he ran over to the other side to help his sister. She was pushing with all her might, but only when aided by her brother did the table move. Together, they easily moved the table out of the way. It seems a small thing, but watching their combined efforts to accomplish something that was bigger than either of them individually just warmed my heart. Even now, the event is forgotten by them . But I hope, somewhere in the backs of their minds, the lesson was introduced: Together we are stronger!

No comments: